Saturday 19 August 2017

#RPGaDAY 2017 - Day 19 best writing in an RPG.

Day 19 of #RPGaDay 2017. 

Which RPG features the best writing?

My answer instantly is Paranoia. That book was a joy to read. A perfect mix of rules, fluff, and comedy. It's one of the few books I've read more than once just because it's fun to read. The thing is, I'm trying not to repeat games for this #RPGaDAY deal so I have to think of something else. Hmm.

I'm going to go with Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay with the caveat that you look past just the core rulebook. Not that the writing in the core rulebook is bad, it's just that there so much more out there. There's the Enemy Within Campaign which I still consider one of the best-written RPG campaigns ever. There is the two Realm of Chaos books. The Black Library put out some amazing novels set in the Warhammer World that were very different from the standard fantasy novels we were seeing from other RPG publishers. Heck, they even had a heavy metal band at one point. Someone had to write those epic lyrics.

I have always loved the Warhammer world and that world was brought to life to me through some of the best writing in the industry. From epic descriptions to try British humor, I can't think of a Warhammer book I didn't enjoy reading. Technically this also spreads to the Warhammer 40,000 universe. Back in the day many of the supplements were actually for both worlds and multiple game systems in those worlds. For example, those Realm of Chaos books had rules for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Warhammer Fantasy Battle, and Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader.

It's not just the fluff that makes me choose Warhammer for today's question either. It's also for clarity of rules. Of all the RPGs I've run I think I've had the fewest rules arguments in Warhammer. 


For those wishing to play along at home, here are the topics for this years #RPGaDay. Feel free to use these cues in your tweets, facebook posts, g+ threads, blog posts and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment